Friday, June 13, 2008

I Made A Vow

On Thursday night, I raised my right hand and made a VOW (which I take seriously) to not use the green box setting on my camera. I was in my photography class when I made this vow. Easier said than done... BUT I have stuck with it. I know, it's only Friday and it was just over 24 hours ago that I made that vow. But see I have taken over 300 pictures today. Most of which I deleted. Almost all of which I deleted. (I have lots to learn!)


I am reading a book that Ted got me about my camera and will be practicing a TON because on Wednesday, I will be taking some fun engagement pictures of Kristin and Justin (precious friends of ours that just got engaged). They know I am not a pro and we are just doing it for fun... if we get some good pics, that is just a bonus.



So what does it mean to take it off the green box? The green box is the automatic setting on my camera. I now have switched it to M. That means that I am manually setting my camera (shutter speed, the ISO and the Aperture). I still don't know exactly what all those things mean but I am learning.



My photography teacher gave a great word picture that keeps me off that green box and the gist of that story is ... you learn by doing. So I am doing A LOT of picture taking. My poor kids.



Tonight, Mr. T and I went on a date. SO FUN. Afterwards, I wanted to go take pictures of flowers or something (give my kids a break). We didn't have time before we had to pick up our kids at VBS so we got in the parking lot of the church that was hosting this VBS and I took pictures of the lady's baby who had just pulled up next to us in the parking lot (I know this lady so it wasn't as weird as you are thinking).



Here are my FIRST DAY ON MANUAL pictures!



This little guy is the youngest of 7 kids. He is a doll! This precious family have adopted 5 kids (4 brown , 1 white) and they have 2 biological kids. They amaze me!




He looks just like a cabbage patch :-) SO CUTE!





THOSE EYES!



And this is my favorite picture of the day... not because of what it is of, but because of the look.







Thanks for letting me share. I'm gonna go put myself to sleep by reading this photography book - ha! :-)

7 comments:

Blog Shmog said...

Thanks for the comment Tracie! You have a very cute family. I will try and read up on your story a bit. I need all the "personal experience" stories I can get. :)
Joy

Rodney and Robyn said...

YOU GO GIRL!!! I am PROUD of you!! Thank goodness the vow is not to take it off manual ONLY. I would be in TROUBLE!! I have tried out Program- is that illegal? I too have not tried the big A - but my pics aren't so blogworthy....yet!! WAY TO GO!
Robyn

Michael and Michelle said...

I didn't understand anything about the green box.....but I really liked the pictures!

Michelle

sar said...

how fun! i love pictures and photography and hope to someday have my own studio!

way to go, those pictures are great!

sarah

Coming to Amharica said...

Hey Mrs. T!!
Love the new blog and all the pictures! I was doing it all wrong and haven't looked at your blog since you switched. I did get your email about it, but was not looking in the right place. So happy to catch up!

Happy Father's Day to Mr. T!

Dee Dee

p.s. Casey and Solomon are loving their first Father's Day together.

Kristi J said...

Hey...Have you had privacy problems?? I just clicked on my old thing for you and it said it was closed now...I'm so new to this...I hope I'm not putting myself out there to be shocked. So far everything I've experienced with blogging has been positive. Anyways, check out my post today because I posted pics of my first cousin Todd who is single and doing his residency at UT right now and wants to meet a nice girl. Do you know any single people?? check it out and let me know what you think...I love fixing people up, Kristi

Miranda said...

What camera do you have? I am really enjoying photography myself and it gets so fun once your realize how you can emphasize certain things (like leggo guys:) Just wondered what your using....