We started our day with a BACK TO SCHOOL breakfast. Eggs and Bacon.... YUM. Then, we hit the books. Not too hard though.... We finished by lunch and then headed to the Mountains! FIELD TRIP on the first day!
Our kindergartner :-)
Our 2nd Grader
They all still have on their PJs :-) Aidan has on his Hulk PJs... Love the Hulk face he is making. People often ask me what I do with our younger children during the "school day". Well, you see Addie back there. She was coloring. I got her a few little work books. Abel was upstairs with Daddy. He was working from home this morning.After lunch, we went to the Mts. We laughed, we cried, we fell, we pinched, we had to change clothes, there was blood, sweat and tears... but we HAD A BLAST. We laughed so hard when we left that I thought I might have to change my clothes too :-)
Here's how the day went down....
It started OH SO SWEET...The kids LOVE going to the Mts.... It's all about the ROCK THROWING. I had such a great time sitting on the BIG ROCKS...just delighting in the kids and Ted throwing rocks. I, of course, was taking pictures.
I love the adventure that comes out in Aidan when we are on trips like this. He was the ultimate in exploring! It was too cool.
This was Abel's first time to the Mts. He loved it. He will really enjoy it when he realizes he can THROW the rocks. I constantly had to keep the rocks out of his mouth!
Abel clung so tight to Ted. It was a precious sight! He feels safe in his Daddy's arms.
Let the falling begin. Aidan fell into the water. He loved that he was soaking wet.
Avery fell in too. But you can tell by her face... she was COOL with it. (The water was COLD). but she laughed... good sport!

Addie fell too. But before she fell, she stuck her head in the water. IN THE FREEZING COLD water. Not sure why she just did. The reason she is crying here is because she just fell and during the fall, she lost a shoe. YEP... it went floating down the river... we could not find it because it went down in some rapids. (and I loved those shoes...BUMMER)


SO PRETTY!
We decided to get in the car and go to a flat area. We get there and we take the stroller out for Abel to sit in. Ted takes Addie to the bathroom and I have Abel next to me and I am just watching Aidan. I am laughing at him and loving how ALIVE he feels in this setting.
He was ON TOP of the world... jumping off of rocks... ALL BOY!

Even tonight as we crawled into bed, Ted started laughing and I knew what it was he was laughing at...

Addie fell too. But before she fell, she stuck her head in the water. IN THE FREEZING COLD water. Not sure why she just did. The reason she is crying here is because she just fell and during the fall, she lost a shoe. YEP... it went floating down the river... we could not find it because it went down in some rapids. (and I loved those shoes...BUMMER)


SO PRETTY!
We decided to get in the car and go to a flat area. We get there and we take the stroller out for Abel to sit in. Ted takes Addie to the bathroom and I have Abel next to me and I am just watching Aidan. I am laughing at him and loving how ALIVE he feels in this setting.
He was ON TOP of the world... jumping off of rocks... ALL BOY!Right about this time I hear "Tracie... Tracie, Tracie, Tracie". It's Ted. I look towards Abel AS HE is falling OUT OF THE STROLLER. Yes, face first on the gravel. I felt so bad. He is such a climber and he wasn't buckled in. He does a face plant. That's gonna leave a mark...
Then I hear Ted say "Bear"
PAUSE... ok.... this is where the wires in my brain get crossed. I see Abel. I am picking him up... his nose is bleeding. I somehow get Sharks and Bears mixed up and think "OH NO... clean up the blood... the bear is going to smell the blood and come after us!". All I can do at this point is react... I PINCHED TED. I grabbed his arm so tight and said "Gather the kids... run to the car... go go go". Ted said "Stop!" (telling me to quit pinching him). I was pinching harder (not even realizing what I was doing). Aidan by this time sees the bear (who is across the river... it is close... but NOT THAT CLOSE). Aidan (who was hulk just a minute ago) is now CRYING. HARD. Avery starts running and wipes out in the parking lot. Abel is crying (as blood is running from his nose). Addie... not sure what she was doing... knowing her, she was enjoying every second of it!
We get to the car and I start wiping up the blood with a wipe, looking over my shoulder, hoping Avery is not bleeding as well. (Great, more blood to attract the bear). Aidan is crying even harder now. Then we get in the car. I realize ... that is a baby bear, not even a HUGE BLACK BEAR (but I know... if a baby is there, the momma is close behind). I also realize it's not blood that the bear smells... it is food. As we are all in the car, Ted and I look at each other and just BUST OUT LAUGHING. BELLY, GUT LEVEL, PEE IN YOUR PANTS start laughing. I started telling him how I realized it was sharks, not bears, that are attracted to blood... which made him laugh even harder. We are all in the car ... buckled in... and other people are getting out of their cars to get a closer look at the bear (ok, now that is crazy!).
Meet the bear...

Even tonight as we crawled into bed, Ted started laughing and I knew what it was he was laughing at...
It was such a great time!
AND on the way home we got the best news! Julie's mom's cancer had not spread and was completely removed when she had her surgery. PRAISE JESUS!


17 comments:
OK, that is one of the best stories I have heard in a long time!!!! Family time is the best!!! Thanks for the great laugh!
Michelle
Love the shark blood thing. Now that was funny! Have you been watching Shark Week or something! Love the storytelling pics...cool! It's after 1 a.m. why am I not in bed. Seriously!
And me.....I'm wondering why you didn't get a closer picture of the bear! LOL! Great story!
Thanks for the laugh this morning!
great pictures and great story!! sounds like you guys had a wild day!!
i have been watching shark week, so i probably would have had the same reaction.
one time when we were camping in college with joe's fraternity, i made him sleep in the car with me because i kept hearing "a bear" with the distance. he claims that it was his frat bros trying to scare all the girls...i still think it was a bear :)
~angie
Are you for real? That is one crazy day! I wonder if the bear found the shoe. ;)
My brother and his fellow campers saw a mama bear and her cub last weekend in the Smokies too. They were slightly more manly, they ran and screamed!
Glad you had a blast, that's a story your kids will remember forever.
Let me know when the next field trip is :)
wow! What a field trip! You guys are adventurous. :)
Hey, we are planning on homeschooling eventually. Do you use a certain system or go by a certain book? Just curious what you do.
Being the teacher you are... I'm assuming you turned yesterday's adventure into today's writing assignment!! :) Sounds like quite a field trip.
By the way... I think Aidan and my Jake are two peas in a pod!
Fun times!
-Suzi
What an awesome first day!!! Not everyone can say they laughed, cried, bled, and got wet all on the first day! Oh, and meeting a bear? What an experience!
Ok, that story get s me even more excited about being a mother, I can't to have a family and have family day, and well just be a family!!!
C
Awesome story!! Miss you to pieces.
I was glued to the screen reading that story - HILARIOUS!! Glad that you were able to laugh about it!! Thanks for sharing and have fun with school!
Kristin
Too funny! I probably would have reacted the same way! lol. Great pics too! I always love Aiden's facial expressions.
~Dawn
Hilarious, my friend!! I'm just picturing the smokies, Ted screaming bear and you checking for blood on "Abe & ave." It reminds me of the time we all went camping when "Dee" and Rebekah were babies and I kept hearing an animal howling through the night -- I was petrified it was going to sniff out Rebekah's cry and attack the camp. So I literally fed her most of the night to keep her quiet. If I remember correctly, a certain someone gave everyone a few extra howls from their tent pretending to be the wild animal...not mentioning any names of who that would have been...:)
Love you & missing you lots!! Amanda
Soo... I went to the stream for a drink. And it was crazy. There was this brown haired lady with a camera and her kids running around falling down. Then she took my picture and they left. The paparazzi follow me everywhere...grrr
the bear
Post a Comment